For a change of pace, and because I was running out of time, I decided to just complete my remaining 4 newborn cloth diapers in the green-and-blue starburst pattern for a total of 15 homemade newborn cloth diapers. I’m happy to report that those diapers are now done.
Things I learned:
- I had no problems working with the cone this time (by now that clay that I jammed into the center to make it fit my sewing machine has hardened nicely). It broke 1-2 times and so did the normal thread I was working with. So take that, lady at Jo-Ann’s who decided to dispense unsolicited advice about what type of thread to use instead of doing her damn job and answering the customer’s product question! (See Part 3 if you missed that.)
- When I visited the same tailor who had put the bottom snaps on for me prior to assembly of the diaper, he actually handed me his button snap pliers and said he would trust me to borrow them. I soon learned why. Getting the hang of putting those damn plastic snaps on with pliers was freakin’ HARD. Good thing I had plenty of extras, because I wound up with 8-10 broken and battered little victims that will never know the joy of containing my baby’s poop in his or her bum! What I found was that I had to make sure that I got a really good split on the post, and not one that was tilted at all to one side or the other. Otherwise the snaps had no hopes of staying on and would pop right off after being snapped a few times.
- Speaking of which, turns out that the tailors did kind of a sucky job on the bottom snap for two of my diapers. Upon testing with a few open-and-closes, it was the bottom umbilical snap that flew off of its post! I was able to repair one of them, but the other was a lost cause, needing an entirely new bottom snap, and there’s just no way of getting another snap in there without opening the entire diaper, so I decided I’d live with one less umbilical snap. The umbilical stump will only be there for 1-2 weeks anyways.
- One of my bottom snaps also popped off by ripping clean through the fabric. Again, I just tucked it back in and decided I would live with one less functional umbilical snap. So I have 15 homemade newborn cloth diapers, 13 of them with functional umbilical snaps.
Moral of the story: when you’re making these newborn diapers with umbilical snaps, make sure you get a really, really good split on the post for those bottom umbilical snaps. Put a counterpart snap on a piece of fabric and test each bottom snap by opening and closing it about 10 times. Because if you only learn about the bottom snaps failing at the end of assembling the diaper, you are in for some pain.
Anyways, at my baby shower, I was also given six of these (two in Grasshopper green, two in Blossom pink, and two in Butternut yellow) for babies 6-12 lbs. and six of these (again, two in Grasshopper green, two in Blossom pink, and two in Butternut yellow) for babies 8-35 lbs. They came from a wonderful family at church that had bought them to diaper their own newborn, then changed their minds about cloth diapering. So that was very generous of them. I used my Target gift cards and store credit from returns to purchase four more of these (two in Grasshopper green, two in Moonbeam blue) for babies 8-35 lbs. So, unless my newborn is very tiny, I should be the proud owner of a stash of 31 cloth diapers that will fit him/her. Once I complete my remaining 10 green-and-blue starburst cloth diapers, I will have 40 cloth diapers that should work from about 2 months of age until sometime after the first year. I will own 61 cloth diapers total.
Sewing Cloth Diapers Part I: Patterns, Cost & Supplies
Sewing Cloth Diapers Part II: Creating the Prototypes
Sewing Cloth Diapers Part III: Mint-Colored Diapers
Sewing Cloth Diapers Part IV: Dark Green Diapers