I am now 13 weeks and 6 days pregnant, which means I am on the last day of my first trimester.  Here’s what I see looking back:
Most Favorite Parts of the First Trimester:
- Taking my daughter to watch videos at EHD.org and observing her excitement as we discussed her forthcoming brother or sister (“or BOTH!” she would say).
- Feeling the baby begin to move. (Oh yeah. That’s been happening.)
- Hearing the baby’s heartbeat.
- My first appointment with my hot doctor.
I also hit an important milestone not too long ago: last Friday, when I hit 13 weeks, my chances of miscarriage in the miscarriage calculator dropped down from 5% to 2%. That’s as low as the risk goes regardless of age, gestation, previous deliveries, previous miscarriages, heartbeat, and HCG levels, so there’s something reassuring about crossing that threshold.
Least Favorite Parts of the First Trimester
- Nausea, fatigue, and that one morning of vomiting (yes, I know I’m lucky)
- Being too tired to exercise.
- Feeling like I didn’t want to eat anything.
- Outgrowing some non-maternity clothes, but still being too thin for most maternity clothes.
- Achy, hurtie, breasts that are bigger. I went up 1 cup size and 1 band size within the first month of pregnancy. No, I am not happy about this. “Mine’s bigger” is not a goal for women!
Overall, this is one trimester that I am not sorry to leave behind. I’ve actually exercised twice this week though (Monday and this morning), and I’ve applied for a YMCA membership for the pool access, so I think my energy is beginning to return. Here’s hoping the second trimester is better than the first!
 A lot of sources say that the 1st trimester ends at the end of week 12 and beginning of week 13, or a week ago. However, my feelings are that if we’re going to evenly divide a 40-week pregnancy into trimesters, it’s 13/13/13 and then one trimester gets an extra week. Since a woman isn’t even really pregnant during the first two weeks of the first trimester, I say it’s the first trimester that should get that extra week. So my division is 14/13/13. TheBump.com seems to agree with me.