Today is just one of those days where I am trying to remain calm.
Last week, I had some bloodwork done (*cough* without my knowledge or consent *cough* but that’s a matter for another post *cough*). When I requested a beta HCG quantity test, my doctor also put in orders for a CBC, TSH, and Free T4, which I didn’t find out about till later on. The beta HCG quantity came in at 138 (which is within normal range for 4-5 weeks pregnant) while the CBC was also normal on all counts. The Free T4 also came in normal at 1.06 (lab range: 0.61-1.81), but my TSH was a whopping 12.573.
I had an ultrasound on my thyroid last August 2012, which found “Diffusely heterogeneous and nodular echotexture is present consistent with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.” My TSH was also tested in September 2012 and found to be 7.595, which is high, but my Free T4 was still normal then (1.03), so the doctor said I didn’t need treatment and that was the last I heard of it.
I’m awaiting the results of a Free T3 now to find out if the problem is that my thyroid isn’t converting T4 to T3, but assuming that comes back normal, what I have is apparently called “sub-clinical hypothyroidism.” Apparently it’s recommended that even sub-clinical hypothyroidism be treated in pregnant women, as women with thyroid disease are at a greater risk of miscarriage, gestational complications, and giving birth to babies with birth defects. I am, as I write this, currently in the hospital with DD as she has just had surgery to repair a birth defect. So yeah, I’d really like to not have to go through this again with #2 if I can help it. Or worse, lose the baby.
I’m just trying to tell myself to calm down, that there’s nothing I can do at this point, that I just have to wait for my doctor to get back to me on what kind of thyroid medications he wants to put me on and at what dosage. I’m a bit miffed that he didn’t try to treat my sub-clinical hypothyroidism sooner than this, given that he knew I was trying to get pregnant. I’m just hoping and praying that sub-clinical hypothyroidism doesn’t pose as much of a threat to pregnant women as full-blown hypothyroidism. But then again, if my Free T3 comes back low, then I’m not really sub-clinical to begin with—although it would be good to be able to pinpoint what exactly is causing my distressingly high TSH levels.
Oh, and also, today is my birthday. Yes, that’s right, I’m stuck in the hospital waiting for my daughter to recover from surgery and worrying about how my thyroid disease is probably killing my baby on my birthday. Sigh. 😦